Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Re-purpose

I have wanted to blog about this topic for awhile, but I didn't think I had enough material. Well, I'm just going to go with it and post more about my thrifty obsessions as I buy/salvage more. I know I have written about how I adore garage sales and rummage sales, but I also check out the several dumpsters around our apartment complex. When I thought about writing this post, I went around our place looking for things I bought at a garage sale, salvaged, or just used in a different way than it's real purpose.
Here is what I have come up with so far:

I love lamp. This little beauty I salvaged from the U-Haul storage unit. There was an area where people could dump stuff they didn't want, and I saw this and had to have it. There was a different shade on it. The shade on it now isn't what I would like, but I already had it, and it works for now. EW wasn't thrilled when I carried it into our storage unit. He said we were there to put our things in storage, not add to it. Well, it spoke to me, and I was so glad that it worked!

There are a couple things in this picture. The bookcase my mom got at a 2nd hand store for dirt cheap, it's a bit beat-up, but I can always paint it. The silver plate that the orange candle is on, I found at a rummage sale, for under a dollar. It is actually a fancy hot-plate, but I thought a big pillar candle would look awesome on it. I think it works!

Our kitchen doesn't have much cabinet space, so I really needed to find some shelves to give more space. I was looking at several stores, but all of the shelves that I liked were so expensive or didn't fit.
Then one day about a month after we moved into our apartment, I was walking Bandit, and had to take her doodoo bag to the dumpster. There were 3 of these white, wire shelves sitting outside, next to the dumpster. Seeing that they were in really good shape, I picked them up and made them mine! I'm so glad because they fit perfectly in my cabinets. I also have one on our dresser for a bit more space.

Not many people know what this is. It is actually a shoe holder. My grandma picked it up at the church rummage sale. My shoes are too big, but I knew I could use it for something. And that something is for all my junk in the bathroom. It's been in 3 apartments bathrooms now, and it really useful. It's a bit rusty, and I plan on painting it next summer. I'm thinking black...

Over the weekend, I had EW help me get the Christmas decorations down. We are saving the tree for this weekend. I just wanted to get a bit ahead, instead of doing it all this weekend. I got our stockings out and last year I thought I would get 3 when I bought them just in case we had an addition to our family. So glad I did, since we did get an addition: Bandit Blu. When I went to hang them up though, I found that I had only bought 2 holders...ugh. Not having any money to spend (seriously) I wasn't for sure what I was going to do. Holders can be $10+. So this morning I went to Goodwill to check out what they had. Thankfully, I found one that I really liked (the tree in the middle) and they had 2! Of course I had to buy the pair, since our family will most likely grow again in the next few years.

Here's a closer picture. I'm not in love with the color, so I'm thinking of painting them gold, to match the snow flakes. What do you think?

I really wish I had a before picture with this one, but I can't find one. This lamp I got for $5 at a rummage sale. The previous owners painted it white (you can see it was black). I'm thinking about painting it again, since you can see the black showing through in some spots. I really wanted new shades for this lamp. Before I painted them silver, they were yellow and blue striped. I really love how it turned out! I think the silver would really pop if the base was a different color. Ah, another project for next summer....

I have a few more items that I would like to share, but they can wait for another time.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

-Brina

No comments: