Thursday, August 11, 2011

Gluten-Free...the way to be?

I've had stomach issues for....well, forever. I've tried over the counter stuff, even prescription meds. Still, I would sometimes end up with the worst stomach ache. I would literally end up crying my stomach hurt/cramped up so bad. I really believed that I would have to live the rest of my life being withing running distance to a restroom. That is until I talked to a friend of mine who has had some of the same issues. She went to several different doctors, and did her own research. She thought she had a gluten sensitivity. She went to a naturalistic doctor, who confirmed it. It's just a simple blood test. Some might think I'm talking about Celiac Disease, but that is a condition that a person can't eat gluten foods at all. A gluten senseitivity is your body reacts negatively to gluten, and it can be a range of how much gluten your body can take without having a reaction.
My friend thought I too might have a senseitivty to gluten, so I did some research and thought, why not? It really can't get any worse than what I'm dealing with now. So at the start of July, I went gluten-free. This means no food with any wheat product, flour, etc. that doesn't say gluten free. I had to hunt, but I have found some good gluten free food at the regular grocery stores. It is WAY more expensive, but I feel it is totally worth it!
Since the start, I have had no symptoms I had before. However, if I eat something that I shouldn't. I know it had gluten, because the symptoms return. For instance: EW and I went to the movies and not thinking I got pizza. WRONG! I had such a stomach ache that night, I couldn't sleep. I won't be making that mistake again.
Sometimes you may not know if it's gluten free or not, so I ask what it's made of, and go from there. I've done research, so I can about tell if the ingredients are ok or not. It's all about being informed.
I know that this will have to be a rest of my life deal, and yeah, that kinda sucks. But being able to go out with friends, not having to worry if my stomach is going to act up really is worth it!
Having a gluten senseitvity or celiac disease is not the only reason why someone would want to try a gluten free diet. Studies have shown it also works on people that have autism, add, adhd, irritable bowl syndome, thyriod problems, inflammatory diseases, and many others. I was amazed at how just changing one substance found in what you eat can have such an affect on your health.
My challenge to you is think about what you eat--It could be making you sick.

-Brina

No comments: